Wednesday 21 May 2014

Worm update & answering your questions

So a little before Mothers Day, I left my compost worm bin outside and then thought I killed the compost worms.. Big sigh of relief though... I found them on Mothers Day!!! They are alive and well and still too teeny to get an actual picture of..but they are there!

Since I wrote my first post about our compost worms I have had a few people send me emails about worm composting. (Disclaimer: I am not a worm composting professional I just have done some research..hello Google!..and also talked to people who have compost worms..share the knowledge!!) 

1. Doesn't it stink?
Nope, not so far and it has been about a month.  From what I have been told, if it starts to stink then you have a. too much food in there b. you are not burying the food in the dirt c. you need a bigger container.

2. What do you keep them in? 
A rubbermaid that is not clear (worms like the dark) and hubby drilled some holes into the lid. Easy peasy. You can buy actual worm compost containers if you want. You can also DIY so many - check out this website for a DIY compost bin. 

3. Do they try to escape? 
They haven't yet, they are way too small. And if you do find that you have worms trying to go AWOL then you have made their home too wet or too dry. I add a 1/4 cup when it looks a little dry, and add it to each corner. You may just also need a bigger bin. 

4. So how do you use it in your garden? 
First of all lay a flattened card board box on the ground. Now bring the bin out, take the lid off and set it in the sun fora 10 minutes or so. This is so the worms go to the bottom. You then take a layer off of the top and put it on the card board and let it sit in the sun so that if there are any worms in there they die. Then you use it as you would any other compost. 

5. Why do you put it in the sun? 
Well compost worms are called Red Wiggler worms. If you put them directly into the dirt with Earth Worms they will kill the Earth Worms. Let's not create an apocalypse k?  So basically the dirt goes into the sun to kill any potential worms.. 

Until next time!! :) 

Also, if you like what you read don't forget to subscribe to Just another Edmonton mommy!! :) 


Thanks for reading !!

Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home